HEADER

New Video: Winter X Games 2012 - Shaun White Wins 5th Straight SuperPipe Gold Medal with Perfect Score

Monday, January 30, 2012



Nursing a bum ankle, Shaun White had already pulled out of Slopestyle earlier this week, leaving many to wonder how he would fare in his signature event. However, as only he can do, White made his mark at Winter X Games Aspen Men’s Snowboard SuperPipe, winning gold and effectively solidifying a five-time repeat with a score of 94.00 on his very first run of the night. White could have mailed in his final run and taken a victory lap, but instead threw down the single greatest slew of tricks in Winter X Games history. Starting off the run with a towering 18-ft backside air, White stuck a frontside double cork 1080, a Cab double cork 1080, a frontside stalefish 540, a double McTwist 1260, and his signature frontside double cork 1260 before all was said and done, garnering the first perfect score of 100 in the history of Winter X.

It's unreal. I've been wanting that 100 forever. Thank you so much, everybody tonight,” White, a two-time Olympic halfpipe gold medalist, said (via ESPN). “I came here on a mission: I couldn't compete in slope [the slope style event, because of a sprained ankle] and it kind of broke me. I didn't know what to do. I was sitting around icing my ankle wondering if I could even ride tonight, and I kind of took out a little bit of that anxiety and anger that I couldn't compete in slope in the pipe tonight.”